History was made September 4, 1880, when nearly one-tenth of the population of Los Angeles turned out to witness the laying of the cornerstone for USC’s first structure—today’s Widney Alumni House. As building namesake and USC founder R.M. Widney reflected some six years after: “The unfinished building in the midst of an unoccupied, uncultivated plain was a lonely looking object to those who only saw the present. For some the curtains rolled aside and the coming centuries were in view, with the possibilities of the great work standing out in strong outlines for the encouragement of the workers.”